CarAudioForum.com

Old 04-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
Phuntz

Phuntz is on a distinguished road

Troubleshooting

Hey guys I'm looking for a 2nd opinion on troubleshooting an issue with my front right speaker (it may periodically happen to my left but i havent really been able to isolate that... right for sure though)... they seem to cut in and out. I cannot seem to find a pattern between bumps in the road and it happening... I have pulled the speaker out of the door, checked the connection, it was tightly connected but to be sure i spot saltered the connectors so they won't come off... I replaced my amp that was powering them... So basically I think I'm down to 2 options, the head unit or the rca cables... where would you guys start?

Last edited by Phuntz; 04-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Phuntz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

It could be almost anything (head unit, RCAs, amp, a failing speaker, wiring or connections), but some troubleshooting should narrow things down.

Try swapping left for right on your RCA cables- does the problem follow the cable, or stay with the speaker?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Phuntz

I recently replaced the amp because it was happening so I would hope that's not the issue... however, I didnt think to swap the RCAs over.. I will try that to see if it happens to the rear speakers

Old 04-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

If it is only happening to one of the front speakers, instead of swapping front for rear, I would swap left for right (to minimize variables).

If the problem stays with the amp channel, you'll troubleshoot the RCAs, amplifier, head unit. If the problem stays with the speaker, you'll troubleshoot the speaker wiring and the speaker itself. If you are using the factory speaker wire, a break or short can develop which causes intermittent operation. You'll want to check the wiring isn't broken, pinched or shorted along its length, and you'll want to make sure the speaker terminals themselves aren't touching anything metal. A shorted speaker wire or terminal is bad news for the amp driving it.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Poor RCA ground?
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Phuntz

I'm still trying to figure this one out... So I found an extra brand new RCA cable, I wired it all up, tested it out... sounded great... wake up the next morning to the speaker making a buzzing/humming sound that doesn't change with volume even if there is no music just the receiver is on. This one is really testing my patience....

ps buzzing/humming stops when i disconnect the RCA from the amp.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #7
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

What head unit? Have you tried grounding the RCA jacket to the HU or the amp?
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #8
Phuntz

Head unit Is nothing special, kenwood kmm bt315u. Iím not sure what You mean by grounding the rca...

Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 AM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuntz View Post
Head unit Is nothing special, kenwood kmm bt315u. Iím not sure what You mean by grounding the rca...
You can wrap a wire around the ground jacket on the RCA and connect it to the ground. Google fixing pico fuse repair for pioneer HU. Kenwood's are known for have the same problem. Usually happens because the RCAs were swapped with power to the system.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote