CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Maxim#

Maxim# is on a distinguished road

Design for dual 10" ported enclosure.

Guys,

I'm trying to build my own dual ported box but I'm kind of stuck in the design process.
What I have so far is my max dimensions:
height: 12.5" to 13"
width: 36"to 37"
depth: up to 18"

I would like to build this box to the sub manufacturer audiophile specs:
audiophile specs

I have used Torres app to input my data, but that didn't help me much:
torres specs

And finally the actual design, is it a good choice?
design

Please help out guys with the measurements/tuning.

Thx
Maxim# is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

How much power you going to be running to the enclosure? What type of music do you listen to?
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Maxim#

So the amp that is going to power it:
Precision Power ICE2600.1D Black Ice Series 2600W Class D Monoblock Amp
it's 1 ohm stable, so I want to get 1000rms.

Music: electronic/trance, hip-hop.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim# View Post
So the amp that is going to power it:
Precision Power ICE2600.1D Black Ice Series 2600W Class D Monoblock Amp
it's 1 ohm stable, so I want to get 1000rms.

Music: electronic/trance, hip-hop.
I'd get different subs for a ported enclosure - Sundown SA comes to mind.

A few things I don't like about that sub:
1) QTS is really high, more like a sub for IB or large sealed, not ported
2) For a 10" it has high space requirements. If you can cough up ~3.5 cuft (gross), then there are some 12s that might work for you.
3) FS is a little on the high side, not bad, but I'd like to see it lower. As a rule of thumb for a ported enclosure, you tune above FS to create a bump in frequency response, tuning at or slightly below FS gives you pretty flat response and you should avoid tuning much below FS.

As for your enclosure, the sketch/design looks good, but why are you tuning so low? If you want flat response down to ~25hz, then I think you'd be better of with three 10s or 12s in 2-3cuft sealed. Maybe IDs instead of IDQs. However, IMHO for Hip/Hop & EMD, I think ported enclosures tend to work better.

Assuming you want to stick with subs that will work well with something similar to your proposed enclosure, then I'd look at the DC Audio LvL2 in 12" or the Incriminator Flatlyne also in 12". Sundown EV310 or SA10 or 12 are good candidates too. All available at the SSA store.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

As for the box design the port area is really low. You need atleast 31 sq. in total of port area to avoid compression and port noise issues. As for tuning you are way to low. I would go up to around 30 Hz and roll with it.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeler11 View Post
As for the box design the port area is really low. You need atleast 31 sq. in total of port area to avoid compression and port noise issues. As for tuning you are way to low. I would go up to around 30 Hz and roll with it.
Good catch on the port area. The problem with tuning low with those subs is they have an FS of 37hz, so 33-35hz is about as low as I would go. The subs he linked just aren't a good candidate for porting IMHO.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Maxim#

I took under consideration yall points and finally builded sealed enclosure with separate chambers ~1.4fuft each.
Here are some pics:

Front view
Back View
After priming with Kilz
After priming inside view

Instead of plastic terminals I used these banana jacks:
Banana jack

Didn't test it how it plays, I need to return one of my subs, it has some factory issue.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
Jimi77

Looks nice. At 1.4cuft per sub, I'd be careful with the power. I would guess they'll reach xmax at ~300-400wrms. Good luck with the rest of the project.